Drainage issues are common occurrences in both residential and commercial properties. Reading, like any other city, encounters these problems on a regular basis. This article will explain the common causes of blocked drains in Reading and provide practical solutions to address these issues.
Common Causes of Blocked Drains
1. Hair: Hair is among the frequent causes of blocked drains. When hair strands fall off while bathing, they accumulate in the pipes and cause blockages. Over time, the hair combines with grease and other sticky substances forming clogs that obstruct water flow.
2. Soap: Over time, soap combines with minerals in the water to form soap scum. This substance can build on the inside of pipes, leading to significant blockages.
3. Food Waste: Bits of food that end up in the sink can result in blocked drains reading a blocked drain, especially stubborn food components like coffee grounds and tea leaves. Furthermore, pouring cooking oil or fat down the drain can harden, causing blockages.
4. Toilet Paper Buildup: Excessive usage and flushing of too much toilet paper at once can lead to serious blockages in the toilet drain pipes.
5. Tree Roots: Tree roots can intrude and obstruct your drainage systems. Often drawn to the moisture around pipes, these roots infiltrate through tiny cracks in the pipes, grow, and block water flow.
6. Broken Pipes: Old, rusted pipes tend to crack easily. When this happens, earth material gets into them, creating a blockage.
Solutions for Blocked Drains in Reading
1. Regular Cleaning: Regularly cleaning your drain can prevent the build-up of substances that cause blockage. You can clean your drain using hot water mixed with vinegar or bleach to break down the grease or soap scum formation.
2. Drain Guards: These prevent larger pieces of debris like food waste from going down your drain. They are therefore great tools to contain hair in bathrooms and food particles in kitchens.
3. Regular Plumbing Inspections: Regular inspections by professional plumbers can help identify issues before they turn into severe blockages. Additionally, they can provide a thorough cleaning of the drainage system and fix any minor problems on the spot.
4. Avoid Dumping Hard-to-degrade Items: Avoid flushing items such as diapers, baby wipes, and sanitary products, as these do not break down easily and tend to clog the drainage system.
5. Use of Enzyme-based Drain Cleaners: If clogs occur, you can use enzyme-based drain cleaners. These cleaners are effective at breaking up clogs and are environment-friendly compared to chemical cleaners.
6. Professional Drain Unblocking Services: If all else fails, engaging a professional drain unblocking service is the way to go. These services have the expertise and equipment to clear major blockages, replace broken pipes, and advise on how best to maintain your drain to avoid future blockages.
To conclude, maintaining a functional drainage system is essential for any premise in Reading. By understanding the common causes of blocked drains and applying the above solutions, the inconvenience of dealing with serious drainage issues can be mitigated. Remember that while some minor issues can be handled personally, significant blockages or consistent issues should be addressed by professional plumbers to prevent exacerbating the problem.